Types of State Permits

There are many types of permits that are required before fracking and fracking related infrastructure can be developed. In this article you can read about the different types of Pennsylvania’s state issued permits.  

You can also see related help articles that discuss about each type of permit in more detail and find out how you can help protect your community by participating in the permitting process.

Drill & Operate Permit

If a company wants to construct a fracked gas well pad they must obtain a Drill and Operate permit.

Erosion & Sedimentation Control General Permit (ESCGP-2)

This permit is required for earth disturbances associated with oil and gas exploration, production, processing, treatment operations, or transmission facilities.

Expedited Erosion & Sedimentation Control General Permit (ESCGP-2 Expedited)

Some projects are eligible for an expedited review process of their ESCGP-2 permits

Air Quality Permits

If fracking infrastructure will emit significant amounts of air pollutants they must receive permission from the PADEP before they install, construct, modify, or reactivate any such air contamination sources.

Title V Operating Permit

If a development will become a major source of air emissions it must be covered under a Title V Operating permit

General Operating Permit (GP-5)

If a company wants to construct natural gas compression stations, processing plants, or transmission stations they must first obtain a GP-5 permit.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System General Permit (NPDES)

Any activity that will create a new “point source” that discharges into the waters of the state must be covered under an NPDES permit.   

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.